One of my favorite places to run is in the Cemetery. I especially enjoy the week around memorial day. Without sounding morbid- the place really comes to life. Not only from the hundreds of flowers, signs, windsocks, stuffed animals,etc left on the graves, but also from the cars that seem to drive slowly up and down the lanes just to remember and pay respects. Cars pass by as I run and I give a little wave. There are always some headstones that are just covered with flowers arranged just perfectly. Sometimes they are so filled, I have to stop and read the names and dates on the headstone. It is evident that that person was loved. I wonder about all of the stories that could be told from those that have passed on (from the stones that are covered with flowers, as well as the ones that sit bare).
My last run was on the day that all of the flowers were being thrown up onto a big truck that was headed for the trash. A few cars passed by and I gave my little wave. In another week the cars will be gone just like the flowers. It is almost sad in a way, but yet, there was also a peace that was there as I ran up the lanes that were already cleared. A calmness you could feel. It makes me think about those that I love that have passed on and am so grateful that I will see them again. How blessed I am to know that if I live worthily I will see them again!
This Saturday’s Recipes by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago



You make me want to go and jog around a cemetery. I liked your thoughts-- how very reflective you are. love ya
ReplyDelete