Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Thinking out loud

I had a pretty quiet morning and was reminiscing about a time when Jim and I were driving on the freeway for some distance with silence between us. (happy silence-smile!) When I asked him what he was thinking about he proceeded to tell me of his future goals and plans, not only for him but as we start a family. After listening for a while to his thoughts I just said wow. He then asked what I was thinking about, I sheepishly told him I was thinking about what it would be like to be an ant in such a big world. How a blade of grass would seem so tall.

Since then I have tried to have more productive thoughts-and sometimes I actually do!

Like today (it was nothing profound but deeper than ants) I was running on the treadmill and looking at the picture of Posey Lake (a lake our family loves) on my wall. My mind started its weird path to different memories. One stood out today- It was of the old pioneer cabins that you find abandoned along the roads. I loved looking at them and regret not taking pictures of them. They were simple small structures. How basic life was and how we seem to make things so complicated and busy now. It is all good things mind you but it got me thinking of things I could do without to make mine and our families life a little more basic. I won't share that though-you'll have to make your own list!

I will leave you with a question though- What do you think about in your "happy silence"?

2 comments:

  1. first of all I thought you were counting the seconds between telephone poles as you passed them- maybe that was another time :). Secondly you just convinced me to get on my treadmill so that I could maybe become deep in thought about something. Lastly I need to focus on having more meaningful thoughts. I tend to be more task oriented and want to think about the next thing I have to do. So my thoughts seem to be routine lately-- I'll work on that.
    Isn't blogging fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Often I think of the millions and millions of people that are alive today and how our little circle of friends and family is only a little speck of interactions of our world. Then, I proceed in thought to the point of being so amazed that Hevenly Father knows our every thought, every action and every emotion. Maybe that is why I am so prone to throwing my friendship onto so many I meet. Tami's Christmas gift is helping with that. But I will admit that I have never tried to befriend an ant. Dad

    ReplyDelete